Saturday, September 09, 2006

Swedish potato sausage

Swedish potato sausage may not be very well-known outside of the Midwest, or in other areas lacking a large Scandinavian population. Essentially it is a ring sausage that is usually stuffed with a combination of beef, pork, potatoes, onions, and is most commonly seasoned with allspice. It is a mild, earthy sausage that has a fairly creamy and soft texture because of the potatoes used in the recipe. Your will frequently see this served at Christmas dinners of Scandinavian families here in Minnesota.

While I have made my own version in the past, this one was purchased from TJ's Country Store in Mahtowa, MN, a small shop that sells their own hand-crafted sausages products. I got very excited when I saw this in their meat case, because Swedish potato sausage is not always easy to find. And the store owner told me, "It's my mother's recipe, and it's excellent!" With an endorsement like that, I had to give it a try.



I simply roasted the sausage in the oven for 35 minutes at 350 degrees and served it with some roasted garlic mashed potatoes, a side of peas, and some pan gravy I made from the drippings. The sausage was as advertised. It tasted just like a Swedish mother would have made it; Rustic, a delicate texture, nicely seasoned with the onions and a hint of allspice. Very, very nice.

No question, a great meal tonight.